General Information for Tenants

As a Port of Leith tenant, you have certain rights and responsibilities and information about these can be found in the tenants’ handbook which can be downloaded here or in your tenancy agreement.

For Sheltered Tenants, the handbook can be downloaded by clicking here.

Permission is required if you wish to:

  • Sublet your property
  • Take in a lodger
  • Keep a pet
  • Make alterations to the property - please see Improving Your Home
  • Transfer/assign the lease to someone else
  • Exchange with another council or housing association tenant

You should contact the Association on 0131 554 0403 if you wish to apply for permission.

Lettable Standard

The Association will provide new tenants with a clean and safe home.  Full details of the lettable standard can be viewed by clicking here:  Lettable Standards 2016

Moving Home

If you wish to move to another Association property, you will need to ensure that you have completed an Edindex form to allow you to bid for properties that are available (please see the section on ‘Applying for Housing’ for more information).  We advertise 10% of our properties with priority for Port of Leith tenants wishing to move to another Port of Leith property but you can apply for any suitable property advertised for a ‘mover’.

Mutual Exchange

A mutual exchange with another council or housing association tenant can sometimes be a quicker way of finding an alternative suitable home. You can find a possible exchange partner by visiting the House Exchange website which is free of charge and allows you to search for suitable properties.

When you find a suitable property, both you and your exchange partner will need to complete an application form for a mutual exchange which can be downloaded here. We will ask for a reference from the other landlord and we would normally only agree to an exchange if you have a clear rent account.

Ending your tenancy

You must advise us in writing if you wish to end your tenancy and give us 28 days’ notice. The information leaflet including the appropriate form can be downloaded here, with the details we will need from you.

We will carry out an inspection of your property and advise you in writing of any repairs we require you to carry out before you leave the property, to ensure that it is left in good condition for the next tenant. If you fail to do this, then we will re-charge you the cost of carrying out the repairs. More information can be found on the Ending Your Tenancy page.

Contents insurance

The Association insures the building and fittings/fixtures provided by the Association but responsibility for insuring the contents rests with the tenant. Please see the page on Insurance in the Repairs area

Our responsibilities as a landlord

As a landlord, we also have responsibilities to ensure that the structure, fittings and fixtures of your home are kept in good condition and that we keep the property wind and water tight. We will also consult with you on significant changes to our relevant policies and services.