Pests and Vermin 


Pests such as rats, mice, wasps, bedbugs, hide beetles, ants, fleas and cockroaches can spread diseases, damage homes and belongings, sting or bite and aggravate asthma, eczema and other allergies. Treatment for most of the common household pests and minor infestations are the responsibility of the tenant.

The tenant is responsible for:

  • Treating and paying for infestations by common household pests in their own property, including mice, but with the exception of bedbugs, cockroaches and rats.
  • Advising the Association of any infestation so that we can assess the cause and advise responsibility.

The Association is responsible for:

  • Treatment of rats in individual properties and communal areas.
  • Treatment of bedbugs in individual properties and communal areas.
  • Treatment of cockroaches in individual properties and communal areas.
  • Treatment of infestations or pest problems of any other kind including mice in communal areas or where the fabric of the building may be damaged or compromised.
  • Blocking up holes in properties where mice are gaining access.

Advice to Tenants

Rats and Mice

These rodents can be a serious health risk, particularly in kitchens or where children play, due to the diseases mice can spread as they search for food and shelter. They can also significantly damage your home and furniture by constant gnawing, and have been known to chew through electrical cables.

Signs that you may have rats or mice in your property include:

  • Scratching noises in walls or ceilings
  • Shredded materials
  • Damage as mice gnaw wood, plastic, cables etc.
  • Distinctive, ammonia-like smell
  • Droppings 3-7mm, spindle shaped - found along walls or in cupboards

How to deal with rats and mice in the house

Where possible, store food in strong, airtight containers and regularly clean under cupboards, cookers and other appliances to remove opportunities for mice to feed.


Mice Infestations:

  • Poison can be used to treat mice within the property and placed behind kickboards, pipe-boxes or other inaccessible places for children and pets.
  • Traps can be set adjacent to walls, behind kick boards or in cupboards etc.
  • Humane traps can also be set to catch mice and allow their release back into a suitable environment away from the property.

Ants, Fleas etc:

  • Proprietary sprays and powders can be used to treat infestations of ants and fleas etc within the property.

Note: traps and sprays etc can be purchased from any DIY store or Supermarket but should only be used as recommended by the manufacturer.

Further advice can be obtained from the City of Edinburgh Council website.