Advice & support

1. Ways we can help you

We offer a range of in-house tenant support services to help you in your tenancy:

Money Advice

Fiona Whitelaw
Fiona gives money advice to tenants and non-tenants living in the EH6/7 postcode area. This includes:

  • Budgeting
  • Income maximisation
  • Benefit checks
  • Negotiating with creditors
  • Debt solutions

Phone: 0131 553 8475
Available Monday to Thursday

Susan Colvin

Welfare Rights

Susan Colvin
Susan can offer you advice on welfare rights including:

  • Income maximisation
  • Benefit checks
  • Assisting with benefit claims

Phone: 0131 553 8781
Available Monday to Friday

Tenancy Sustainment Officer

Louise Byrne
Louise can help you sustain your tenancy, including by:

  • Applying for redecoration and furniture grants
  • Accompanying you to appointments
  • Assisting with bank account set-up
  • Assisting with utility problems
  • Referring you for appropriate support

Phone: 0131 553 8752
Available Monday to Friday

Tenancy Sustainment Officer

Trudy Smithers
Trudy can help with the following:

  • Scottish Welfare Fund applications and applying for furniture grants
  • Setting up utility accounts, council tax accounts and home contents insurance
  • Opening bank accounts and setting up email
  • Initial online Universal Credit application
  • Accessing Edinburgh Leisure facilities

For more information and contact details, please see our tenant support leaflet. Click here to find out more about welfare reform.

2. Other places to get help

Money advice

The Money Advice Service provides advice to tenants of Housing Associations. Please also see the short video below about the Money Advice Service and advice on how best to get help for managing debt and other money/budgeting problems. For additional information, please visit the Money Advice Service website.

Domestic abuse

We believe that everyone has the right to a home they feel safe in. We want to do everything we can to tackle domestic abuse and to support any of our customers or staff who may be experiencing it. There is a lot of support available across Edinburgh for people suffering domestic abuse. We have pulled together a list of some of the key organisations, which can help below. Please remember that our housing officers will always be on hand to assist in any way they can.

Key organisations

Abused Men in Scotland supports men experiencing domestic abuse.

Cedar (Children Experiencing Domestic Abuse Recovery) works with children, young people and their mothers recovering from living with domestic abuse.

Citizens Advice Bureau

City of Edinburgh Council

Edinburgh Women’s Aid offers support, advice and information to help families stay safe.

Edinburgh Women’s Rape and Sexual Assault Centre supports women who have experienced any form of sexual violence, at any time in their lives, by male or female abusers.

EdSpace provides resources aimed at men experiencing domestic abuse.

Fearless supports men (including trans men) and anyone from the LGBTI+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex) community experiencing domestic abuse.

LGBT Domestic Abuse Scotland

National Centre for Domestic Violence

Police Scotland

Scotland’s domestic abuse & forced marriage helpline

Scottish Government

Shakti Women’s Aid offers support, advocacy and information for all black/minority ethnic women, children and young people who suffer domestic abuse from partners, husbands, or other family members.

Shelter Scotland

Victim Support Scotland provides information and support to victims of any crime, including domestic abuse.

Housing for people leaving the Armed Forces and ex-service personnel

The Scottish Government has published a short housing guide for people leaving the armed forces and ex-service personnel, which includes contact details of organisations that may be able to help ex-service personnel find suitable housing.

Can’t find what you need? Find contact details